Tuesday, November 18, 2014

The KC Royals

So let's rewind back to the month of October...

In case you were living under a baseball rock this fall....the KC Royals went to the world series for the first time in TWENTY NINE years.  Yes.  Since 1985.  That was when I was born.  That was a long time ago.

And in case you weren't aware - my husband is a HUGE Royals fan.

Like he's watched every game every night it's on TV for as long as I have known him.  He goes to Kauffman Stadium to see them whenever he gets a chance (which was a lot more prior to us having kids).  We used to go out on random Sundays and buy $7 tickets, sit in the outfield and he would keep score and I would read a book.  Yes.  It's true.

That was when they were horrible and no one wanted to go watch them lose...again.

But Jimmy still did and hung in there with the team.

And magically, 2014 was their year.  They made it to the World Series.  And this is how this super fan celebrates a World Series birth at home with two kids.  I just had to video it - because let's be honest...I'm not sure when this will happen again.  But if it does and this blog is still around - I'll video it again so you can compare.  Hopefully it's not another 29 years.



Needless to say - man oh man was he excited.  Like so excited.

He went to the Wild Card game in KC with all his brothers, dad and 2 of our nephews and stated it was the best day of his life.  I'm going to just tell myself that does not include major life events - like marrying me or the births of our two children.  Who knows if that is true - but that's what I like to tell myself.

Carter boys - Wild Card game, Sept 30, 2014

It seems like EVERYONE was a Royal's fan too!  Royal's gear was flying off the shelves and the whole town got into it.  I have to say it was really fun!!

We even dressed up our kids in Royal's gear QUITE regularly.  They seemed to like it (thanks Pops for the gear!)


So when it came down to buying tickets - I was torn.  They were so expensive and with Maddie starting day care full time we for sure have other things to spend our money on. Trust me. 

But this little voice inside my head kept telling me, you have to let Jimmy go to at least one game.  This is 29 years in the making and it's the WORLD SERIES.  I wasn't quite sure how we were going to get him those tickets- but I knew I wanted him to go and experience it himself!

And just like that - any opportunity arose and some extra tickets went on sale on the Royals website and Jimmy's youngest brother snatched some up.  We tried, but apparently you could only do it on a computer and unfortunately we were in the car on the way to the lake.  So when Bobby said we could buy them from him for a price - I said "DONE" and I literally thought Jimmy was going to start crying.  Lets just say it sort of pained me to spend that much money on a baseball ticket - but guess what, he's worth it!

Off we went to Game 2 of the world series at Kauffman Stadium and man was it exciting!!  The Royals lost game 1 the previous night, so the fans were all into it and then they boys in blue delivered 5 runs in the 6th inning and ended up beating the Giants 7 - 2.  That inning was AMAZING!  Like everyone was jumping up and down and screaming and high fiving.  I have never been to a sporting event quite like it and it made me proud to be from KC!  Jimmy was who knows where because he said he was unlucky in those seats - guess he was right!!


The view from up top!!


So then the Royals made it to GAME 7.  I mean really???  And guess what?  I won tickets in the Crown Seats (aka the seats right behind home plate with free drinks and free food..) from work.  And Jimmy's dad was amazing and got him a ticket!  Luckily, Jimmy landed back in KC from a work trip to DC that night and headed straight to Kauffman to hang out with these boys again!


I, on the other hand, car pooled with a bunch of male co workers who were also drawn for the lucky tickets, but was having a pretty good time myself!!


Erin Andrews strutting across the field and the Pandas in the Crown Seats



Me and the Marlins Man.


Eric Hosmer - this shot was for Lyssa....


In the fourth inning - mama needed a break.  Don't worry - I had lots of wipes and hand sanitizer.  But a mom has got to do what a mom has got to do.  The worst part was that all the guys I was with were like "wow - we were worried about you".  I told them the bar was out of diet pepsi....


Unfortunately, the end was pretty bad.  I really thought they were going to come back and win and like the rest of the crowd, we were in shock that they lost like that.

I was driving Jimmy's car home, so I went to meet him in the parking lot and had to walk through all the press waiting outside the locker room.  It was VERY somber and sad.  Poor guys - they were so close to a world series win!!!!



But guess what?  It was pretty surreal itself getting to actually go to a World Series game (actually 2) and I'm so glad we did!!!!  Jimmy can now never say that I'm not a "fun wife" right??!

Here's to next year for the boys in blue to take the Crown!  (well at least don't wait 29 years this time..)


post signature

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't even finish reading this post as the wounds are still too fresh from losing game 7 :(

    ReplyDelete